Smart Poles for a Sustainable & Scalable Smart City in New Delhi has been named as Top Smart City Project for Sustainable Infrastructure by the IDC Smart City Asia/Pacific Awards (SCAPA). Out of 19 awards, this is the only Indian project to win the prestigious awards announced last week by IDC. Projects under sustainable infrastructure are recognized based on their contribution in environmental monitoring, energy conservation, smart lighting, smart trash bins, smart meters, and smart grids.
“Further automation of city operations, creating better accessibility to digital ecosystems and tools for residents, and enhanced government services experiences- all dominate the transformation themes of Smart City projects in SCAPA2020. This year, many Asia Pacific Smart City projects focused on agile public policies and initiatives for social inclusivity, intuitive and innovative city services, sustainable critical infrastructure revolutions and global engagements,” said Gerald Wang, Head of Public Sector at IDC Asia/Pacific. All winners were decided based on IDC analysts’ benchmarking, public voting, and judging from an International Advisory Council.
New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) and a local solutions provider installed 55 Smart Poles (Phase I) spread in Connaught Place, Lutyens New Delhi to help address five major areas of concern, mainly quick response to safety incidents; response to environment changes; managing traffic and transport; connectivity to business houses due to its prime location, and additional inflow of citizens; making it tourist friendly while maintaining aesthetics of the city. This led to improved E-governance practices such as:
- The two- layered integrated solution to provide better network connectivity services backed by stringent uptime and Service Level Agreements.
- Fiber connected sites for more reliable and high capacity fiberized backbone to meet the increasing data connectivity needs.
- Integration of CCTV cameras at NDMC’s ICCC has allowed to monitor traffic and vehicular movement in real time, thus helping NDMC in building predictive analysis to proactively mitigate the traffic congestion.
- 24*7 real time video feed so that NDMC can react quickly to any security incident, thus reducing violent and antisocial activities.
- Data captured by sensors allows to identify the sources and trends of poor air quality to take timely and effective preventive measures backed by data analytics.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC’s analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world’s leading media, data and marketing services company.